Schemas are now recognised as an important part of children's growth and learning and there is even a place for it in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). However, it was the schema training that I attended recently that really inspired me and made me look at how we approached children's learning and development in our settings; It made me question:
- What are we doing in terms of following children's real interests?
- Why do we plan activities and new experiences the way we do?
- Is our planning and assessment effective and personal to all our children?
- How could we use the schema approach to improve upon what we do?
- How could we make it work for us?
The road is long!